Speedy Cover is a mixture of oats and radish. True to its name, Speedy Cover is extremely quick to establish and also quick and easy to plant and manage. Since this mix will typically winterkill, no spring spraying or tillage is normally needed. All you have to do is plant into the beautiful killed mulch that this mix leaves behind.
Plant into existing crops at the beginning of leaf wilt. The harvest of soybeans should not be impacted unless harvest is delayed and too much
- The deep taproot of Nitro Radish make great nutrient scavengers
- The fibrous roots of oats help hold and build the soil
- Leaves deep root channels for corn to follow
- Reduces Compaction
- Greatly improves soil health and fertility
- Easy to manage due to predictable winterkill
- Good choice for farmers new to cover crops
- One of the best options when quick cover is needed
- Can't be planted late in the season
- Reduces compaction
Zones: 3, 4, 5, 6
*Organic versions may have different varieties based on availability
growth of the cover crop has occurred by then. Brassicas and oats will winterkill when temperatures dip into the low 20's. Avoid planting in waterlogged areas.
Seed at 80-100 lbs per acre. For best results drill 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 inch deep or broadcast into a tilled seed bed and culitpack. Aerial applications have been very successful when corn has dried as high as the ear or soybean leaves start to drop. It can be no-tilled into a grass/alfalfa sod that has been killed or mowed very close. Herbicides can also be used to suppress the sod.